The American Legion Auxiliary is the world’s largest women’s patriotic service organization. Through its nearly 10,500 units located in every state and some foreign countries, the Auxiliary embodies the spirit of America that has prevailed through war and peace. Along with The American Legion, it solidly stands behind America and her ideals.
We meet on the 2nd Tuesday of each month (except July and August). The meeting begins in the Dewey Lowman Post 109 Hall at 7:30 p.m.
The American Legion Auxiliary, founded in 1919, has nearly 1 million members from all walks of life. The Auxiliary administers hundreds of volunteer programs, gives tens of thousands of hours to its communities and to veterans, and raises millions of dollars to support its own programs, as well as other worthwhile charities familiar to Americans. It is all accomplished with volunteers.
While originally organized to assist The American Legion, the Auxiliary has achieved its own unique identity while working side-by-side with the veterans who belong to The American Legion. Like the Legion, the Auxiliary’s interests have broadened to encompass the entire community.
The Auxiliary has conceived and implemented hundreds of programs for veterans, their families, young people, and the community at large. Dewey Lowman Auxiliary Unit 109 is no exception. Currently, the Dewey Lowman Auxiliary sponsors these projects:
- Annually sponsors up to two young women to attend Girls State where she will learn about government and democracy
- Participates in the Americanism Essay Contest for 3rd – 8th-grade students.
- Gives one $1000 scholarship yearly to an American Legion family child/grandchild for post-high school education.
- We are an approved partner in the United State Vietnam War Commemoration Program. As a partner, we “welcome home” Vietnam Veterans, and thank them and their families for their service.
- Makes visits to the local veterans' hospitals.
- Assists the Post in fundraising events and ceremonies.
- Shares committee chairmanships with Post members for the betterment of the Post.
Click here for information on how you can be a member of the American Legion Dewey Lowman Auxiliary Unit 109 and make a difference in the lives of veterans and your community please contact the Membership Chairman Kathy Gair at 443-591-8897/
Interested in learning how you can help? Check out this page for a description of our committees and what is needed: Click here for an overview of our committees.
Click here for Auxiliary News & Events including a calendar.
The Preamble of the American Legion Auxiliary Constitution is recited by members at every meeting, please click here to obtain a copy.
2023-2024 AUXILIARY OFFICERS
President: Sharon Knecht, 410-227-0169 email@example.com
1st Vice: Kathy Gair (Membership) 443-591-8897
2nd Vice: Carolyn Hyatt
Treasurer: Rose Mary Tittsworth
Secretary: Mary Beth Wire
Chaplain: Paula Reisz 443-306-6019
Sgt at Arms: Patty Calvert
Historian: Beth Milesky
Executive Committee: Millie Finck, Cindy Klapproth, Laura White